The end of your relationship with your spouse will mean a change in some of your life goals. Your advisor can help with strategies and advice for balancing your priorities and making progress towards achieving your financial goals in your new situation. Take this opportunity to review your priorities and consider asking your advisor these questions:
- How do I make the transfer of investments to and from my former spouse?
- What happens to the beneficiaries of my RRSPs and Life Insurance?
- Do I need a new investment portfolio?
- How will my cash flow be affected by my marriage breakdown?
- Will I need a new Will?
- What about the RESPs for the children’s education?
- We may have to sell our home, what are the implications?
- How will my government benefits such as OAS and CPP be affected?
- What will happen to my company pension?